Get Support
Most Entrepreneurs need 3 (the proverbial number) to begin their path to success. First, the great idea. Second, the capital or means to achieve first stage business development. Third, a support network. Now you might believe there are more (or less) needs, but I have chosen three. That doesn't even matter because all I want to talk about is the third; The Support Network.
I have been with Club Entrepreneur since the beginning. In fact, I was in the room when the mere idea was brought public to the room of students Peter Burns was teaching. Since then it has come a long way. We moved from an ASU sanctioned club to a regional organization, and now growing nationally, bringing together Entrepreneurs across the United States. None of this would have worked out if no one had believed in the concept and if we hadn't supported each other.
The "core team" as we call ourselves in the CE Network has been working feverishly to organize material get the club through it's growth stages. I can remember fronting cash to get fliers dispersed around the ASU campus and promote membership back in the day. Since then, I have spent a portion of every single day working to build Club Entrepreneur into the organization has become and will continue until it is what we have envisioned. Along the way we've partnered with Michael Gerber and Ingrid Vanderveldt. We supported each other, and Peter, on building this great organization and we did it together.
Your "core team" is essential for your business to flourish. You can only fight so long before you start to believe the snide criticism your peers make. You need your support group to help you push through those weary times of low faith and rejection. My team hasn't just been there for Club Entrepreneur, but in my other business as well. We chat and analyze each others' business models and consult one another on strategy. Real Entrepreneurs giving feedback right in my face, willing to let me know if I'm making a bad move. They give me new ideas, and support me along the way.
When I started all I had were my friends' support, which I'm very grateful I had. It was not until a while down the road did my family begin to understand what I wanted to do and realize it was possible. Soon enough, they got the flash of reality, that the path I chose, the path of an Entrepreneur, was a very real and very exciting one. And what do you know? The Entrepreneur bug bit, and my mother recently began her own private practice.
Point being, if you don't have a support group, find one. Our "core team" has created an environment for you in Club Entrepreneur to build one. We want what we have with each other available to every Entrepreneur in the world. A support team will help you along the way, especially during the stressful moments. I'm very lucky to work with my team, and have them there for my business as well. We met to create Club Entrepreneur, and now you can use it to create your own support team. All our advice and Entrepreneurial guidance comes straight from CE. We've expanded our support team with Club Entrepreneur and will continue to create new connections for you.
1 comment:
Great post, Merlin. I think support is even more important than capital in some cases, because it allows the in-kind contributions that build the company to the point where capital feels safe coming in. It never feels safe coming in at the beginning :-)
Post a Comment