Sunday, September 23, 2007

You Do It! - Remote DVR Player

This is a new section I would like to add to my blog. I'm calling it "You Do It!" for now but I'm open for suggestion. Here I will post business ideas I've come up with or talk about with fellow Entrepreneurs. A few bloggers do this already, Seth Godin for one, but he's not the only dreamer in the world. Since I don't have the time do these business ideas myself I thought, in the spirit of Open Source Entrepreneurship, I will share them with you in hopes that "You Do It!". So here it goes:

I don't watch a lot of television. Mainly because most of the programs don't interest me and I don't like watching commercials. You say, "Well get a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) system. That solves both problems, you record what you like, and fast forward through the commercials!" Yes, but that leaves me with a third problem: I'm hardly ever home. I'm mostly at the office, or out at a meeting, and in between those at Starbucks working on a few emails and such. However, I do take a break every now and then to relax my noggin'. I usually check out my surroundings and people watch (I love to people watch). But, if I could, I would watch my favorite TV show.

So here is what I'm proposing. Create a web-based system that allows people to upload all their DVR recordings to a website, which they can access anywhere via an internet connection on their laptop. A remote web-based DVR Player. That way, people can set up their DVR to record at home and access it's information virtually anywhere. Better yet, allow them to upload a few "favorites" to stream to their phones. Now everyone can watch a show while they wait in line too!

Some of this technology already exists, but it has not been implemented or put together in this way. V-Cast from Verizon Wireless allows you to watch shows. Unfortunately the service is limited and searching is kind of a pain. It was also recently announce that Sprint is in contract with Comcast and Cox to allow you to program your DVR with your phone. I believe they also want to implement watching your DVR programs via your phone. AT&T and Verizon are already moving up behind them. But lets face it, a phone screen is small, even if you have a PDA or iPhone. You want to watch on your 17" laptop.

The market is ready, people use the web more an more for daily entertainment. For instance the ESPN Insider, where you can watch "special clips" and interviews, and Youtube.com (even those could be put on this service). The technology is available or can at least be altered for this system. If this isn't already in the works it should be. With our "on the go" mentality's we need a service that is on the fly and available at any moment.

No comments: