Appreciate Today, Succeed Tomorrow
I spent all of yesterday (November 8th) with the greatest people I know at the 2nd Annual Arizona Entrepreneurship Conference. I had a great talk with Lon Safko about balancing ones life during lunch. Its something we all know. We have to be able to keep ourselves healthy and social no matter how busy business gets. Sometimes we even have to force ourselves to take time away from business and spend it with family and friends. His advice could not have come at a better time.
Shortly after our discussion during the afternoon keynote speaker at the conference I received this email…

If you hadn’t already guessed, it’s an obituary. My grandfather on my biological father’s side died on Monday, November 5th. I was fairly close with this part of my family. Every year I visit
My grandfather was always very supportive of me. No matter what I was doing or where I was going he would wish me the best. He was proud to know that I was following my dreams ever since I was a little kid, and supported me in everything I did. It was at this very moment I considered my situation. I was sitting in a room full of people sharing their passion for entrepreneurship, something I believe in as well. I knew at that moment if my grandfather knew what I was doing that it would make him proud.
I decided to continue my dad as I had intended to from the time I woke up. I found new purpose for my being there through his passing away. Not only would I fulfill my day by sharing my passions with 250 other people, but at heart give my grandfather one last thing to be proud of. I did not get to spend time with him in his final days, and have not yet received word of how he passed. But in his passing found new strength and purpose, and with that purpose celebrated my grandfather’s life.
I didn’t tell anyone what news I had received that day. In fact, this is the first time my any of partners or friends would have even heard about it. I decided to keep it to myself until I had more time to reflect. Even in tragedy comes opportunity; an opportunity to reflect on your own life and purpose.
It’s important that even with our need to succeed and achieve great things that we remember we’re human and alive. We cannot lose focus on what we do and how we do it. There is much more to life that money, power, and success. Keeping ourselves balanced between success and living is crucial for entrepreneurs (and everyone else). Take your time to appreciate the things you have today, before you run off to succeed tomorrow.
2 comments:
My condolences, Merlin. I had no idea yesterday; you were such a committed volunteer. Your grandfather WOULD be proud of you.
And the need for balance in life is why as soon as the conference got into the cocktail hour, I ran home to get a pizza and have a glass of wine with the dogs, who had been alone for twelve hours.
I am sorry for your loss. My grandfather was the most important male figure in my life and I understand how you feel. Often as I go through life experiencing my successes and failures, I imagine how proud and supportive he would be of me. Keep his love and memory in your heart and follow your passion.
Post a Comment