Sunday, June 10, 2007

What makes you?

Ah, friends. What glorious people to have in your life. Its interesting to think of the different levels of friendship, and where you would place some of yours. I have close friends - the people I do everything with, tell everything to, and have very open opinions with. There are also professional friends - people I meet for business advice or catch up with on business progress.

I would like to have more friends with person interest vested with them. I do well to get to know new people, and love to help people out in any way I can, but sometimes I don't think I give enough of my personal life away for people to make a connection. I know hundreds of people, most of which I probably see every month at least. But only a handful really know what I'm about, and could tell you why I do things the way I do. A lot of people know me, see my actions and hear what I say, but don't know my reasoning behind the ideas.

Its almost like high school all over again. I was somewhat reserved didn't take the time to talk to classmates. I just went to school, learned something and left. And that day when I performed with a band with friends at the Battle of the Bands everyone had the expression of "Where the hell did this guy come from?!?" No one had any idea I had that kind of energy, or spoke louder than classroom conversation. I never shared anything outside of school with my classmates. For all they knew I disappeared when the bell rang. I knew my life wasn't hallow, and never felt unfulfilled, but I didn't want other people to think that I was a bore or not looking to achieve something great. Because I will, and I am, and I want that to be a part of my peers expectations.

I know what the problem was too. I never shared anything because I didn't want to look like I was gloating. The change I made, however, was just a step in the right direction. I became more extroverted. I had a voice, and people knew I had energy. The problem still was that no one knew where I'm coming from. I went from the quite-esq guy to "that guy" (at least with some, especially new people) Not until someone had the time to sit and chat for a long time did they begin to understand who I really was.

Now, people know of me, hear me, and see what I do. I've changed my image a bit, and now my peers just by listening or watching can tell you what I'm up to.

I am a business owner, an entrepreneur. You know this because I frequent at the Club Entrepreneur meetings, and am enrolled at Grand Canyon University. My company deals with nightlife and entertainment. I love business and solving problems.

Wonderful! You want to do a business deal?!? Derp. Where is the personal stuff?? Even now, I'm having trouble expressing it in text, online. Between "where is the personal stuff??" and "even now" was a 10 minute pause. So up next is a stream of consiousness of things I enjoy...

I don't have a favorite color, and love all types of music, except country. I find it whiny, and don't enjoy the twang. I wont judge you if you listen to it, but I might make some noise about it if you make me listen to it in the car. I'm a huge food fanatic. I'll eat just about anything at least once, but I've found I don't really dig the sea food much. I love sushi though. I've done a great deal of exploring with different beers, and looking to move into some wine tasting. I frown upon those who stick to "budlight" (I put it in quote because I said it with a funny face and as if I had a speech impediment) because its a crappy beer with no flavor. Spring in for a little more and try something new. I love movies! I like a wide verity of movies from action flicks to animated. And yes that includes chick flicks, probably because I watch a lot of them with my mother when I was younger, but I personally think they are entertaining and an added bonus is most women dig it. I don't play a lot of sports, mostly racquetball. I was born in Germany, and am a German citizen. Yes, I have an alien card. No, you may not see my antenna. I speak fluent German, I just need to work on my vocabulary. Post my success with business I would like to move back to live there. Ultimately I would like to own a few homes in different countries on the Mediterranean and have a big yacht to travel between them. Europe is great, and has a lot of beautiful history - if you haven't you should visit. I have a thing for Asian women. I would like to visit Asian, but not to pick up women.

That wasn't so bad. It only scratches the surface, but its a good start. Now I just have to figure out a way to put it into conversation. That pile of information is what I feel projects a decent personal image of me outside of my business mind. In giving this information I want to help bring my professional relationships to a new level. A more personal one where it doesn't just feel like business. I know who I am, and I want you to know as well.

I realize most of the people reading this already know all that about me, but maybe someone else will stumble upon it.

I suppose I could have read a book or found an answer to this "issue" on the internet, but I would rather post it. I don't do well with learning from books or reading. In fact I have trouble with recreational reading . I would much rather have a conversation with someone and learn that way. Sometimes you get a biased explanation, but books are written by people too.


PS: Beer was never meant to be light, if you dont want a fat ass, dont drink so much :-p

No comments: