Sunday, July 8, 2007

Reflection on Life

"Let him who would enjoy a good future waste none of his present." - Roger Babson

This is just one of the quotes I live by. This one in particular is something I'd like to address today. I ran across a website on my friend's Facebook profile today. The site is for Race Charities an organization dedicated to the awareness of early-stage cancer and its detection. RACE was founded by the family of a girl, Glory Gensch, who died 1 year after her diagnosis at the age of 23. Unfortunately she was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer.

Reading this girls heart wrenching story set me up for a deep reflection of my own life. I began to ask myself "What would I do if I only have 1 year left?" - "Would I feel satisfied with my life?". Glory had just graduated from college. She had just stepped into the new life out of the institution. Did she feel like any of her present was wasted?

Glory was abruptly taken at a young age. But what about those who are still around? Are you wasted any of your present? You never know when your time is up, or how much you have left. Make the most of every moment you have now.

I spoke with a friend of mine, Kevin, the other day on this topic. We discussed an opportunity he had working for an MLM. At the time he was really stoked on it, but dropped after he felt like he was just selling stuff. He said something that struck the core entrepreneur in me.

"I rather be working towards my dream, than making easy money selling. I feel like my life is better spent even if I'm just sitting around dreaming about my success, rather than selling for someone else"

I try to live my life wasting none of the present and do something everyday that brings meaning to my existence. Even if I don't get to enjoy my "good future". I hope my achievements leave a legacy, like Glory, the wonderful girl who left RACE Charities to help those after her.

1 comment:

Francine Hardaway, Ph.D said...

I get your blog in Google reader and read it every week. It's too good for its polka dots. Pick another design :-)

Tell Kevin to keep following his dream, and if he gets discouraged, NEVER to work for an MLM :-)

Much love...(go to my Facebook profile and see what I'm doing now)